Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Driver Signing. #53

Open
basil00 opened this issue Sep 11, 2015 · 66 comments
Open

Driver Signing. #53

basil00 opened this issue Sep 11, 2015 · 66 comments

Comments

@basil00
Copy link
Owner

basil00 commented Sep 11, 2015

I am looking for a new sponsor for driver signing. The high-level requirements are:

• Willing to sign new releases of the WinDivert32.sys and WinDivert64.sys driver (probably about 1-2 releases per year).
  • Have an Extended Validation (“EV”) Code Signing Certificate as required by Windows 10.

Note that there is no immediate problem as the current release is already signed. This is for anticipated future releases or bug fixes.

If you can help then please contact basil at reqrypt.org.

@TechnikEmpire
Copy link

It's looking like I'm going to be getting an EV cert to sign WinDivert for my own purposes within the next month or so. It's not 100% but I'll contact you when I'm at that point.

@basil00
Copy link
Owner Author

basil00 commented Sep 12, 2015

That'd be great. Please let me know one way or the other.

@TechnikEmpire
Copy link

TechnikEmpire commented Sep 1, 2016

@basil00 any suggestions or advice on which cert to buy and where? I find lots of ev certs but some of them make different claims about code signing.

@basil00
Copy link
Owner Author

basil00 commented Sep 3, 2016

I find lots of ev certs but some of them make different claims about code signing.

Usually you just want the cheapest that will do the job. I found this page that has a list of EV certificate authorities that should work (given they are directly linked to by Microsoft).

@TechnikEmpire
Copy link

TechnikEmpire commented Sep 10, 2016

@basil00 I remember some info you had about special rights for sponsors. Can you link to that info? I'm also curious if it's possible to add in some sort of mechanism to prevent tampering. For example, a content filter or AV scanner that uses WinDivert to capture all data, if there's something at the driver level where you can prevent a forced shut down of the driver. This way you could open a capture all handle that drops all by default, and someone can't just run sc.exe stop WinDivert1.XX to get by it. Thoughts?

Thanks for your time.

@basil00
Copy link
Owner Author

basil00 commented Sep 13, 2016

@TechnikEmpire, I am not sure what info you are referring to. Perhaps contact me via email and we can discuss.

For example, a content filter or AV scanner that uses WinDivert to capture all data, if there's something at the driver level where you can prevent a forced shut down of the driver. This way you could open a capture all handle that drops all by default, and someone can't just run sc.exe stop WinDivert1.XX to get by it. Thoughts?

This might not be a good idea as part of a general WinDivert release that can also be used by malicious applications, e.g. AdWare. In such cases it is important that the user/Administrator be able to disable WinDivert as a last resort.

It might be okay for a specialized WinDivert that is locked down to a specific application (e.g. AV). I am not sure how it can be implemented though.

@thalomatt
Copy link

@TechnikEmpire Do you know if you need an INF file to submit to the new driver signing standards?

@TechnikEmpire
Copy link

@thalomatt I'm not sure. I've never gone through the process myself.

@TechnikEmpire
Copy link

I'm in touch with an EV cert supplier. It's going to take some time because as a sole proprietor I need to jump through more hoops (signing oaths basically) but when I manage to get an EV I'll sign new releases.

@basil00
Copy link
Owner Author

basil00 commented Aug 24, 2017

Thanks, there really should be a new release that includes #92. Also I have some other minor driver improvements on my todo list. One thing I want to change is not having WinDivertSend() block on injection complete, which may be a performance bug.

@TechnikEmpire
Copy link

Yeah I know there's a few things emerging, plus I'd like to see if I can fork it and make some additions you may be interested in. That aside, I'm pretty heavily relying on your work here for my own open source project so I'd like to contribute back somehow if I can. It may be a bit but I am getting one and will definitely sign once I do.

@thalomatt
Copy link

@TechnikEmpire ,
When you've got your cert, let me know if I can help - it wasn't a trivial matter packaging it up for Microsoft to sign the driver. At least not trivial to this non-Windows developer. But seems to work for all of our users - a few Windows 7 users said it didn't work for them, but after asking if they had all the updates, they didn't reply, so I'm guessing they updated and it started working.

@basil00
Copy link
Owner Author

basil00 commented Aug 24, 2017

@thalomatt I'd guess the Windows 7 problem is because you built WinDivert with a newer version of WDK. I assume this is a requirement from Microsoft? The newer driver will work under Windows 7 only after the user has installed the latest updates.

@TechnikEmpire
Copy link

I believe the group I'm working with has an EV cert inbound. We had troubles with initial orders, the company ended up reneging on their offer to issue to an individual after the fact. Will update when it comes in.

@basil00
Copy link
Owner Author

basil00 commented Sep 28, 2017

@TechnikEmpire, that sounds promising. I am also in contact with another company that has recently expressed interest in helping out. The driver signing process is not as simple as before (now has hardware tokens, SHA1 versus SHA256, dev portal step), so I don't know how long it will take.

Also, it seems that Windows Server 2016 has even stricter driver signing requirements, requiring HLK testing.

@basil00
Copy link
Owner Author

basil00 commented Sep 28, 2017

@thalomatt writes...

But seems to work for all of our users - a few Windows 7 users said it didn't work for them, but after asking if they had all the updates, they didn't reply, so I'm guessing they updated and it started working.

Actually, I now think the problem is that you have signed the driver using the newer SHA2 algorithm, which is not supported by non-updated versions of Windows 7. To fix this problem, you are supposed to "rekey" your EV code signing certificate to allow duel SHA1/SHA2 signing. To rekey you need to contact your certificate provider. Otherwise, you can not bother and just not support non-updated Windows 7.

@basil00
Copy link
Owner Author

basil00 commented Oct 17, 2017

There is a new release which contains EV certificate signed drivers: https://github.com/basil00/Divert/releases/tag/v1.3.0

It has also been signed by the Microsoft dev portal, so should work for Windows 10 with secureboot enabled. I have not had the time to verify this since my virtualization environment doesn't support secureboot.

There are caveats:

• The signature uses the SHA2 algorithm which is not supported by Windows 7 unless a patch is installed. If your Windows 7 system is up-to-date the patch should already be installed.
  • The drivers will not work for Windows Server 2016 unless you disable secure boot. This is because even stricter driver signing requirements including passing the HLK tests. This is on the TODO list.

Note also that version 1.3.0 is essentially the same as version 1.2.0-rc but with bug fixes. The latest performance patches have not been included in this release.

@TechnikEmpire
Copy link

@basil00 Just curious, will we lose Vista compat with the new driver signing requirements?

@basil00
Copy link
Owner Author

basil00 commented Oct 17, 2017

Vista and unpatched Windows 7 support should be possible by "rekeying" the EV certificate to SHA1, then dual signing with SHA1/SHA2. That said, Vista is no longer officially supported by Microsoft, so I do not intend to "officially" support it anymore either.

@nefarius
Copy link

Heya @basil00 I'd like to hop in on the driver signing train 😄

@basil00
Copy link
Owner Author

basil00 commented Nov 13, 2017

Great, if you want to help then contact me via email.

@joveice
Copy link

joveice commented Sep 9, 2018

Status on this?

@basil00
Copy link
Owner Author

basil00 commented Sep 10, 2018

The project currently has two sponsors who have expressed willingness to sign the driver. There has not been a new version for a while, but this may change in Q2 2018.

@nefarius
Copy link

That's one of the many caveats; a cross-signed driver will not load on Secure Boot enabled systems due to more restrictive Code Integrity Policies.

@dhaavi
Copy link

dhaavi commented Apr 23, 2019

Thanks for the hint about Secure Boot. To clarify: the driver is signed directly by Microsoft and then also by me. The driver then has two distinct signatures.
I will investigate further and check if the driver is accepted if signed that way.

@nefarius
Copy link

That's another pitfall: since Secure Boot is available since Windows 8 the Windows 10 signature won't work there and your cross-signed cert will also be denied.

@ronshah90
Copy link

ronshah90 commented May 6, 2019

@dhaavi you can use Hyper-V to emulate Windows 2016 with Secure Boot.
@nefarius According to this comment: https://github.com/MicrosoftDocs/windows-driver-docs/issues/1068#issue-382747909 it might actually work

@dhaavi
Copy link

dhaavi commented May 21, 2019

Sorry, forgot to update you guys with the most recent findings:
I had my colleague test the signatures on his Secure Boot enabled Windows 10 machine - the signatures, both only from Microsoft and with mine added to it, worked fine. I don't have access to a machine with Win8.1 and Secure Boot at the moment.

So, to sum it up - I have two versions of the driver: one is only signed by Microsoft, the other has my EV signature added to it for transparency. Both work on:

• Windows 7
  • Windows 8.1
  • Windows 10 (also with Secure Boot)
  • Windows Server 2016
  • Windows Server 2019

Thanks for the hint about Hyper-V, I may take that route for future testing.

@basil00
Copy link
Owner Author

basil00 commented May 22, 2019

Windows Server 2016

It'd be interesting to also try this one with Secure Boot.

@TechnikEmpire
Copy link

@basil00 It seems none of the drivers are dual signed with sha1 anymore. Is this intended? I assume that attempting to support non-updated Windows 7 is simply not a thing anymore.

@basil00
Copy link
Owner Author

basil00 commented Sep 4, 2019

Yes pretty much. Also because the SHA1 signature seemed to cause more problems than it solved, such as mysterious revocation errors.

@helloray
Copy link

helloray commented Mar 27, 2020

I have KB3033929 patch installed on Win7 but run WinDivert-2.2.0-A/B/C with an error: failed to open the WinDivert device (577). WinDivert-1.4.3-A is running well without any problem. Any suggestions? Thanks.

@basil00
Copy link
Owner Author

basil00 commented Mar 30, 2020

@helloray Try this version: https://reqrypt.org/download/WinDivert-2.2.0-D.zip

@helloray
Copy link

helloray commented Mar 31, 2020

@basil00 Same result. error: failed to open WinDivert handle (err = 577)

@basil00
Copy link
Owner Author

basil00 commented Apr 1, 2020

I forgot to mention that you should reboot before trying the new version. If not, then Windows will attempt to reuse the previous driver with the signature it did not like.

@helloray
Copy link

helloray commented Apr 2, 2020

Hi @basil00 , I have already rebooted before try WinDivert-2.2.0-D. Any other possible reasons?

@basil00
Copy link
Owner Author

basil00 commented Apr 6, 2020

I am not sure. As a last resort, you can try manually deleting any WinDivert entry in the registry. That seemed to have worked for other people.

@muse117
Copy link

muse117 commented Apr 23, 2020

I am not sure. As a last resort, you can try manually deleting any WinDivert entry in the registry. That seemed to have worked for other people.

The Version 2.2 A/B/C/D is double sha-256 signature. You should set a sha-1 and sha-256 signature. This can support Windows 7/ Windows 2008.

@basil00
Copy link
Owner Author

basil00 commented Apr 24, 2020

I usually ask the sponsors (who sign the driver) if they also want to support SHA1, but most do not bother. It is still possible to run SHA256 drivers by using an up-to-date version of Windows 7, or at least by installing a patch: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3033929/microsoft-security-advisory-availability-of-sha-2-code-signing-support

@wumn290
Copy link

wumn290 commented May 11, 2020

I signed the driver with our company's certificate, and then submitted it to Microsoft for signature. The choice is:
Windows 10 Client versions 1506 and 1511 (TH2)
Windows 10 Client versions 1506 and 1511 x64 (TH2)
Windows 10 Client version 1607 (RS1)
Windows 10 Client version 1607 x64 (RS1)
Windows 10 Client version 1703 Client (RS2)
Windows 10 Client version 1703 Client x64 (RS2)
Windows 10 Client version 1709 Client (RS3)
Windows 10 Client version 1709 Client x64 (RS3)
  I've been stuck in the Scanning stage, I don't know why

@TechnikEmpire
Copy link

IIRC just select a single target with the lowest version of windows 10. The portal scans the ini files and figures out itself what architectures you've included and such.

@wumn290
Copy link

IIRC just select a single target with the lowest version of windows 10. The portal scans the ini files and figures out itself what architectures you've included and such.

Does IIRC mean RS2? I now choose this way:
Windows 10 Client versions 1506 and 1511 (TH2)
Windows 10 Client versions 1506 and 1511 x64 (TH2)
Windows 10 Client version 1607 (RS1)
Windows 10 Client version 1607 x64 (RS1)
Give it a try

@wumn290
Copy link

Now the scan fails:
Scanning Notes
{"code":"4001","details":{"errorInfo":"ConfirmedMalware"},"innerError":null}

@TechnikEmpire
Copy link

No sorry, its just short for "if I recall correctly". The portal is finicky and will get stuck without explanation sometimes. Pick the simplest/base option. In this case, the lowest version of windows. Also make sure that you're only choosing attestation signing. Theres another type of signing where the portal runs a myriad of tests against the driver. You don't want that. Simply attestation signing.

@TechnikEmpire
Copy link

@basil00 that MS portal output needs your attention.
@wumn290 that doesn't look good. I've tagged the author, he will have to follow up.

@basil00
Copy link
Owner Author

basil00 commented May 12, 2020

That is quite concerning. If Microsoft decides to shadowbans the driver then that is pretty much the end of the project.

Some questions:

• What version of WinDivert did you attempt to sign?
  • Did you make any modifications to the driver before signing?

Can anyone else with an EV certificate verify this for me?

If confirmed, the next step would be to contact Microsoft support to complain about a false positive. WinDivert is not malware and should not be classified as such.

@wumn290
Copy link

wumn290 commented May 12, 2020

That is quite concerning. If Microsoft decides to shadowbans the driver then that is pretty much the end of the project.

Some questions:

• What version of WinDivert did you attempt to sign?
  • Did you make any modifications to the driver before signing?

Can anyone else with an EV certificate verify this for me?

If confirmed, the next step would be to contact Microsoft support to complain about a false positive. WinDivert is not malware and should not be classified as such.

I am using WinDivert64.sys and WinDivert32.sys under WinDivert-1.4.3-A \ x86, which are not compiled from the source code, the driver is not changed before signing, but the inf is written by myself, other driver files of our company can The signature passed, but windivert failed

@basil00
Copy link
Owner Author

basil00 commented May 13, 2020

One of the sponsors resigned version 2.2.0 of the driver and had no problems. So this might just be a false positive in Microsoft's malware detection that affects version 1.4.3 of the driver binary.

There are are few things you could try, such as upgrading to newer versions of the driver, recompiling the driver, or contacting Microsoft support to complain about the false positive.

@SizzlingCalamari
Copy link

SizzlingCalamari commented May 8, 2022

I have KB3033929 patch installed on Win7 but run WinDivert-2.2.0-A/B/C with an error: failed to open the WinDivert device (577). WinDivert-1.4.3-A is running well without any problem. Any suggestions? Thanks.

@helloray Try this version: https://reqrypt.org/download/WinDivert-2.2.0-D.zip

@basil00 I had the same issue with A/B/C where they wouldn't load on a fully updated W7. The D version worked for me. Could you upload it to the project site or add it to releases? Thanks!

@helloray
Copy link

@SizzlingCalamari Your D version worked for me. Thanks

@basil00
Copy link
Owner Author

basil00 commented Jun 7, 2022

Looking for a new sponsor for driver signing

WinDivert 2.2.1 is available but is currently unsigned. If anyone can help with driver signing, please contact basil at reqrypt.org.

@Fplyth0ner-Combie
Copy link

Fplyth0ner-Combie commented Jul 29, 2022

Looking for a new sponsor for driver signing

WinDivert 2.2.1 is available but is currently unsigned. If anyone can help with driver signing, please contact basil at reqrypt.org.

We can help to sign driver. Contacted by email.

@basil00
Copy link
Owner Author

basil00 commented Aug 3, 2022

@Fplyth0ner-Combie Thanks very much for your help.

A WinDivert 2.2.1 release (with signed drivers) is now available here: https://github.com/basil00/Divert/releases/tag/v2.2.1

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Labels
None yet
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests